Saturday, February 20, 2010

So it begins...

Over the course of this past week I have spent time in the gym. Here is what I've learned.

I can still run, and for the most part, I still run pretty well. Okay, "well" defined for me is just under a 10:00 mile. Keep in mind that since the rink opened here in 2006 I have not laced up my running shoes for the purposes of actually running. I also learned that after a week getting back into running, as soon as you lace up your skates to work a game, you feel as if you are skating on 4x4 posts. Took me about 10 minutes into the first period yesterday to get my stride right. I sure hope it did not look as awkward to those watching as it felt to me.

Biking, which I have never done on more than a recreational level, is not a problem either. The trainers at the gym are a far cry from actually being on the road, but it's comfy, warm, and I can watch the Olympics as I go for my simulated ride. As soon as the snow stops here I will get out in the elements and do some real road work. Anybody else think at this point that the whole "global warming" thing is a crock? Haven't seen this much snow in the last 20 years.......COMBINED!

Swimming, well here's a challenge. I have always been a decent swimmer. When you spend the majority of your summers in lakes all over Michigan you learn a thing or two. Heck, in boot camp I was one of the top swimmers in my platoon, full pack, rifle and all. You would think laps in an indoor pool would be a piece of cake. Well, for the most part they are, as long as I breathe to my right. If I try to my left side it's called swallowing! It is one of the things I apparently need to work on. Ya think?

Since I had no games to referee today I went and got a quick run/bike workout in. On the machine next to me was this huge guy, (You know the kind, looks like more brawn than brain?), and I noticed three women down the way looking over at us. I can see that they are talking amongst themselves, and I figure it's about what they are looking at. Of course I figure they are looking at me, because really, why would they NOT? (Insert appropriate amount of sarcasm.) A few minutes later the trainer I have been working with all week stops by and asks if I know who that guy was. My response, "No, does he know who I am?" I laughed a little at myself because I thought it was funny. He says, "That was Randy Orton". He said it as if I should know the name, when in fact, it rang a bell but I had no reason why. I replied with, "Really, Randy Orton? Hmmmmm". Then I Googled him when I got home. To me, just another muscle-head, but apparently a big deal to other people. However, I am not that easily impressed by people like that.

The guy I have been training with on the other hand, well it turns out we have at one point in time shared some of the same stomping grounds. He is a Navy veteran who was stationed in San Diego, CA. When we got to talking about our days in the military I found out a little tidbit about him. He was shot in Bosnia in 2002 extracting a downed U.S. pilot. Normal course of duty for a Navy SEAL. It's people like him who impress me.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment