Monday, August 9, 2010

2:34:14.5

It has been a long time since I posted to my blog, but at the urging of my biggest fans (and probably ONLY fans.........my daughters), I promise at least one post regarding my progress per week.

On Saturday, July 17th I completed my first triathlon. Here is the breakdown:

Swim: 500 Meters, 19:15.1 This was not a stellar time, but I have never swam in a pack like that before. It is an intimidating experience to say the least. This is where I have the most to learn.

T1: 3:22.5 This was the transition time from the end of the swim to the beginning of the bike. I like to call it the "time where I could have a handicap placard in my car and actually feel like I NEED it"! A lot of the athletes were able to run through this transition. I walked.......and burped. A LOT!

Bike: 26 Miles, 1:33:40.3 A normal sprint triathlon has a 13 mile bike route. This particular race had an International distance on the bike. This, incredibly, has become my strongest event of the three, and the one I look forward to the most.

T2: 2:51.0 Transition from the bike to the run. This is where I realized the muscles used for the last 26 miles on the bike are some of the same used for the run, and they need to coordinate with some other muscles that have been hanging out doing nothing. Coordinating the two takes the better part of a mile. The resulting run during that mile.....pretty comical. Or at least it feels that way.

Run: 3.1 miles, 35:05.6 Probably my slowest 5K time ever, but the most satisfying to complete because of what it was the end result of.

As I crossed the finish line I knew two things.

1. I was officially a triathlete.
2. I was officially addicted and ready for more.

The experience I had endured for the past 2 hours, 34 minutes, and 14.5 seconds was not easy. But I would encourage everyone to try it at least once. It's well worth it.

I got to watch the re-play of the 2009 Ford Ironman Championship from Kona, Hawaii this weekend. At one point there were two female age-groupers walking through a portion of their run. One looks into the camera and says, "It feels like you're dying, but this is LIVING".

More to come.......

3 comments:

  1. They are definitely NOT your only fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, not your only fans:) awesome job Kev! Sorry you have caught the bug hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Kevin and there are more fans than you can count! Keep up the great work! You can blame Laura for catching the bug!

    ReplyDelete